CMS have a newly created Risk Contracts Lawyer role within our recently restructured Risk and Compliance team!
CMS is a Future Facing firm. With 75 offices in 43 countries and 4,800+ lawyers worldwide, we combine deep sector understanding with a global overview, giving us the ability not only to see what's coming, but to shape it.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. Our bold approach to a changing future ensures that we nurture our employees and recruit top talent.
About the Role
We are seeking a Risk Contracts Lawyer to join a recently restructured Risk and Compliance team. This is a newly created role and offers a great opportunity for the right candidate to make a real contribution towards the shape and vision of this forward-thinking Department.
Clients may ask the firm to engage with them under their terms of business rather than the firm's standard terms of business. This role will provide support to the business in managing the client terms process and reviewing ad hoc contracts with a risk focus.
The firm are currently in the process of deploying a new "client term's platform" and the Contracts Lawyer will be instrumental in ensuring the tool is effectively launched and continues to meet the needs of the business.
* Deploy the new client term's platform, working with a range of business service departments and fee earners to ensure it delivers on specified requirements
* Review client terms and provide comments from a risk perspective
* Alongside the Client Terms Co-ordinator, ensure client terms are accurately recorded in the system
* Liaise with the relevant internal departments to produce a comprehensive review of client terms
* Providing guidance to the Partner corresponding with the client and offering advice on how best to negotiate when necessary
* Maintain regular contact with the various business service departments in connection with client terms
* Building on and creating new precedents for client terms
* Provide input on wider CMS projects with respect to the client term's data and platform
* Drafting policies and procedures concerning client terms
* Reviewing NDA's, confidentiality agreements, secondment agreements and similar from a risk perspective
* Deliver training to the firm on the client term's platform and process, when required
* Acting as a technical expert on the client term's platform and liaising with any service providers in relation to performance issues or enhancements
* Building the profile of this new position and raising awareness of the client term's platform
* Working closely with the wider Risk Department
Experience and Skills:
* Qualified lawyer
* Experience of working in an international commercial law environment
* Contract review experience, with an appreciation of commercial issues as well legal/regulatory
* Knowledge of typical client term clauses (e.g. conflicts, audit, liability) and how they are best negotiated
* Experience reviewing general contracts within a law firm, such as NDAs, confidentiality agreements, secondment agreements
* Experience working with various stakeholders
* Excellent research and analytical experience
* Discrete and professional as the information will be confidential and sensitive
* Flexible and able to adapt to new situations, processes and technology.
* Proactive, resilient and calm under pressure
* Able to demonstrate structured critical thinking skills
* Sound judgement and analytical skills
* Clear and efficient communication skills
* Strong organisation skills
Desirable Experience and Skills:
* Data protection experience
* Experience of deploying new technology into current processes
At CMS, a next-generation mindset is woven into all we do. We're diverse, supportive and inclusive, embracing our corporate social responsibility and creating a culture of sustainability in which every one of our people, whatever their background, can maximise their potential and thrive.
For further information about CMS' diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
Please apply online or contact a member of the Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions. For information regarding our competitive range of benefits please visit our Rewards & Benefits page on our website.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.