The role will cover a broad range of corporate law; in particular mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. The focus of the role will be to handle a broad range of corporate transactions in the small to mid-cap market. We encourage all our lawyers to pursue their personal interests through their practice, develop management skills through supervising junior fee earners, contribute to business development and work cross-departmentally through our wide range of exceptionally strong sector groups.
Lawyers are provided with career development support, for example encouragement to co-manage client relationships with partners, support the development of recently qualified lawyers and be involved in the development of the department’s strategy. Our team structure ensures a supportive environment coupled with the opportunity to work collaboratively with colleagues across the department and with other teams in the firm. Specific tasks may change over time, so we’ll need you to be adaptable and flexible as we continue to meet our clients’ needs.
About the Corporate and Commercial team
Our Corporate & Commercial team specialises in the small to mid-cap market advising across a range of sectors including technology & media, financial services, healthcare and social enterprise. The corporate side of the team works extensively on corporate advisory and transactional work including investments, mergers, acquisitions, shareholders’ agreements, corporate governance, joint ventures, group reorganisations, UK inward investment and corporate fundraising.
The commercial side advises on the broad range of contractual matters, from advising on multi-million pound outsourcing projects to supply and distribution agreements of all kinds. Our clients include multinational corporations, quoted companies, financial institutions, private companies of all sizes, partnerships, high-net-worth individuals and not-for-profit organisations, many of which operate globally. Many of the individuals in the team have joined Bates Wells from silver circle firms and other larger City firms. They are a close group of individuals and they are not the kind of lawyers who relentlessly quote the law – as they know that clients want straight answers.
Which qualities do we look for?
• Qualified UK solicitor (4-7 years’ PQE)
• The ability to build, maintain and nurture relationships
• A client-centric approach
• Teamwork – there is a place for individual effort, but we highly value a collaborative approach
• A results-focused mentality – we hope you’ll challenge the status quo if you feel it’ll benefit our work
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Attention to detail
• A genuine interest in the work we do; we encourage questions about the business and invite you to test assumptions and propose ideas Finally, we want people whose values reflect our own and who feel inspired working in a firm with a strong social purpose. What are we like to work for?
• Our purpose and values both guide and drive us
• We promote a strong work/life balance
• We have an agile working environment – this means you might sit next to a different colleague every day or choose to work from our rooftop garden and we actively encourage people to work from home.
During this period of social distancing this is of course much higher, and we are likely to review our policies to enable greater home-working during 2021.
• Our culture encourages clear and honest dialogue and cross-team support • We can promote our staff throughout the year and there are annual salary reviews
• We recognise success and contribution at any time of the year through our Recognition Scheme
• Our benefits and wellbeing package includes firm matching pension contributions, private medical insurance plus a medical benefit cash plan, discretionary bonus arrangements, life assurance, 25 days holiday with the opportunity to buy more, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, firm-wide profit sharing scheme, on site café, and Summer in the City early-Friday-finish
• Everyone gets a bonus if there is one - a proportion of the LLP profit is distributed to our people when we exceed our financial thresholds