We are currently recruiting for a BD Manager (Global Funds & Asset Management and Tax) to join our Marketing department on a permanent basis.
Our business development, marketing and communication teams contribute to the setting and achievement of the firm’s business objectives, which includes supporting our partners and associates in their pursuit of becoming our clients’ trusted advisers, building and maintaining long-lasting, deep institutional client relationships, winning new clients, increasing the visibility of the firm globally, and positioning the firm as the thought leader and most advanced law firm among the global elite law firms. The function works as one team across the globe with very close collaboration between the central teams and professionals supporting offices, practice groups, sectors and clients.
This role will be responsible for providing day-to-day BD support and advice to the lawyers in the London Funds & Asset Management and Tax teams. This role is also responsible for working alongside the Global Funds Steering Committee (made up of partners in London, Luxembourg and Hong Kong) and driving the BD strategy for Funds & Asset Management globally.
Our global Funds & Asset Management offering is an integral part of our private capital initiative – a strategic priority for the firm. Private capital encompasses a number of alternative asset classes namely, private credit, private equity, infrastructure, real estate and other institutional investors (i.e. sovereign wealth funds, pension funds). Our global Funds & Asset Management practice is relevant to all of these asset classes, as we advise on the “upstream” aspects of these funds i.e. the fund formation, fund finance and additional fund structuring work.
A strong go-to-market strategy for our global Funds & Asset Management group will not only generate more fund structuring mandates but, more importantly, will open the door to cross-jurisdictional transactional, regulatory, financing and tax work for the rest of the firm. Likewise, our Tax practice regularly works alongside our Funds & Asset Management team in guiding clients at each stage of the fund life cycle, hence the alignment of BD coverage for this role.
This role will work closely with the Global Head of BD for Banking and the leadership of the respective Funds & Asset Management and Tax practices to ensure the successful delivery of the marketing plans, improve collaboration, and drive the client strategy.
- Global Funds Steering Committee (a three partner team based in London, Luxembourg & Hong Kong)
- Head of London Funds & Asset Management Practice
- Head of London Tax Practice
- PSLs for Funds & Asset Management and Tax
- Global Head of Business Development – Banking
- Senior BD Manager – Banking
- Senior BD Manager – Alternative Investment Managers & Private Capital initiatives
- London and regional BD leads in Americas, Europe, Middle East and APAC for Funds & Asset Management and Tax
- BD Executive & BD Assistant (based in Belfast)
Role and responsibilities
- Work directly with the global Funds Steering Committee partners to drive a cohesive BD strategy across the firm and increase the collaboration between partners/lawyers who do Funds & Asset Management work. Work directly with the SteerCo to deliver on the overall strategy, drive engagement with our priority clients at both a global and local level, and oversee execution and delivery of priority projects.
- Ensure this strategy for the Funds & Asset Management group is linked in with the firm’s Alternative Investor Manager Initiative and wider Private Capital initiative that focus on our relationships with funds clients globally.
- Analyse our existing relationships to develop a strategy to more consistently cross-sell our upstream fund relationships into downstream transactional relationships.
- Work directly with the Tax leadership to promote the offering across the firm and consistently target high quality, profitable and sustainable growth.
- Act as lead client relationship manager for an agreed group of sovereign wealth fund priority clients and support the relationship partners with plans and tactics to advance these relationships.
- Proactively work with the partners and actively contribute to their business plans. Act as an internal consultant and help coach partners/lawyers on marketing and business development.
- Implement the strategy and help influence key individuals within the practices and to achieve agreed strategic goals. This may include leading on content at global offsites, writing regular practice-wide communications on strategic activities, and/or reporting back on metrics.
- Facilitate the integration and on-boarding of any partner lateral hires or partner promotions (internally) within the groups.
- Act as an internal consultant to partners on marketing and business development activities requiring the development of strong personal relationships with global partners.
- Track and monitor the work we do with our clients and develop strategies to target additional work from such clients.
- Keep current with the trends affecting the respective products, and use market data and intelligence to identify business opportunities and/or inform our strategy for going to market.
- Manage a budget that is agreed with central management annually, monitoring spend and measuring value for money.
- Provide leadership and best practice in relation to our global initiatives including:
- pitch, credential and collateral preparation
- integrated thought leadership campaigns
- market intelligence and client research
- client briefings
- client relationship management
- client listening
- conferences, seminars and client academies/universities
- media relations
- marketing trip planning
- directory and award submissions.
- Shared line management of BD Executive and BD Assistant, based in Belfast who jointly support BD coverage for Funds & Asset management and Tax.
- Prior understanding of the Funds & Asset Management/Private Capital clients and sector will be viewed favourably.
- Bright, creative thinker. Has the ability to translate market developments into potential client needs.
- A genuine enthusiasm and curiosity to develop an in-depth understanding of the firm’s capabilities, markets and competition.
- Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience, likely within a professional or financial services organisation.
- Substantial experience developing, implementing and executing business development strategies that have been delivered significant results against strategic goals.
- A strong writer who has experience managing strategic pitch processes with tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong influencing skills - with partners, key associates, business development colleagues, clients.
- Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
- A proactive approach, and a self-starter.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle a diverse portfolio and deliver under pressure.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements