Job function: Sales & Client Services
Salary: Competitive market rate salary
Edge by Ascential are looking for a Customer Success Partner to join our team in London as part of our Client Services function.
The Customer Success Partner is a senior role, and a new, additional strategic and relationship layer for existing subscriptions in our Global Account (GAM) segment. This role sits at the Account level i.e. Product owner/Sponsor at the customer. This is a Revenue function role reporting to the Director of Global Customer Success. Candidates typically have successfully risen through the ranks in Customer Success, Program Management, Professional Services and/or Account Management & demonstrate leadership skills & ability to successfully influence the account teams for the customers they represent and be competently-autonomous self-starters. The overall priorities are decided at the level above, but this role effectively implements & together with the Account Director leads the account team for their assigned customers.
CUSTOMER HEALTH & GOVERNANCE:
- You provide thought leadership on governance structures & engagement frameworks for each of your customers to stabilise & maintain customer health
- Oversight across x-functional partners (Product, Ops, Insights, PM), to ensure best practices are deployed in all functions touching the customer incl.
- Oversight for engagement & comms best practice in terms of cadence of meetings, correct and effective agendas, appropriate participants, recording of notes, actions, effective follow through - primarily executed by the Program Manager as the day to day owner of customer
- Risk management best practice is deployed to assess, record and take action early before risks become issues e.g. strong documentation, effective internal & external meetings & customer health records. Execution best practice is being followed in terms of delivering against contractual commitments for our products and services. Again, primarily executed by the Program Manager
- Where you find gaps, initiating specific plans to address and drive accountability within the account team and supporting functions
- Internal Account planning & risk forecasting - create SMART goals for each of your owned accounts; tracking of all risk indicators across products and regions; regular, meaningful communication and reporting of customer health status and GAM customer dataset to internal leadership
TRUSTED PARTNERSHIP & DEEP UNDERSTANDING OF CUSTOMERS
- Effective and confident operating with exec/C level customer stakeholders. You initiate & engage in joint business planning with customers to understand very precisely how they are measuring success/ROI/justifying budget for their Edge investments. Regularly and formally assessing how Edge are performing against this criterion to anticipate and communicate churn risk to the internal account team and Edge leadership
- Achieve Trusted Advisor status with customer & reputation for high standards & follow through coupled with fairness & collaborative approach. Customer relationships should be happy AND productive
- You protect Edge’s reputation and risk of escalations by ensuring expectations and success criteria are well aligned and documented
- You advocate assertively & effectively for the customer: driving high standards with x-functional partners (PM, Product, Ops, Insights), to ensure customers are maximizing opportunity and converting value from their subscriptions; you validate & articulate their needs, participating in solution design with the customer & internal delivery teams to ensure effective follow through
- Superior ability with customers. You’re not a ‘yes person’, you never overcommit, you push back and have challenging conversations when needed, having built up the goodwill to lean back on, during challenging times. Your logic is sound and backed up by data/documentation, you demonstrate ability & confidence to negotiate & convince on alternatives when an approach is not in the customer or Edge long term best interest
- Advocate directly on the customer’s behalf to hold internal partners & vendors to account for effective, high quality service delivery - by fair and reasonable standards. Aligning & documenting expectations, measuring against those, your escalations are supported by data & proposed solutions
PROTECT ARR & RETAIN CONTRACT VALUE
- Effective execution of 1&2 above contribute to the ultimate mission of retaining contract value
- You have strong commercial awareness and savvy. On your assigned accounts you are intimately familiar with the commercial terms, scope, renewal dates and values across all products, aware of and able to articulate how you are actively managing any identified commercial risk
- You partner with the Account Director in executing renewals, driving continuous improvement, always considering ways in which we can make the renewal process less onerous, less time pressured, less risk prone, more automated, more scalable etc for the upcoming renewal period
CUSTOMER & ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT
- Customer centric mindset, soft hands dealing with customers, assertive, efficient and strong in executing on their behalf. You have an eye on the bigger picture and long-term trajectory, you understand what it takes to earn a trusted advisor status with customers
- Commercially savvy, you generate short term results while maintaining a long-term perspective geared towards satisfaction & lasting, productive partnerships
- Superior ability with customers and proven experience successfully handling complex, challenging customer scenarios. You demonstrate ability & confidence to negotiate & convince on alternatives when an approach is not in the customer or Edge long term best interest. Non-standard or off-contract requirements are called out, you give direction to manage, document & commercially handle in a way that considers the long-term interests & positive outcome for both our customer & Edge. You ensure success criteria are aligned, documented & regularly re-validated with customers. You’re personable, dynamic, fair, accountable & reliable
- You're not a ‘yes person’ but recognised internally & with customers as a ‘trusted advisor’. You have broad shoulders and don’t shy away from difficult conversations, your relationships with customers are happy but also productive. Saying ‘no’ with confidence, backed up with sound logic & rationale, without losing customer trust
- You have empathy and appreciation for customer challenges and solutions to overcome, backed up by your credibility in eCommerce, CPG and product knowledge
- You are success oriented with a deep understanding of Edge product and services but display an outward facing mindset - you’re in tune with the market and customers' needs and frustrations and demonstrate empathy and a capacity to walk in your customers’ shoes
- You are a rigorous and structured operator: dependable, thorough and strong on follow through, with robust report writing and documentation skills
TEAM PLAYER & LEADERSHIP
- You demonstrate leadership and ability to bring the account team and customer along with you, you can influence account team members who do not have a direct reporting line to you, to successful outcomes. You provide thought leadership, mentoring, coaching to other team members
- You display maturity and accountability when escalating, you propose solutions and maintain ownership, you don’t pass the ball sideways or upwards
- You display maturity, accountability, good judgement and are recognised for high standards & best practice
- You appreciate the need to balance several variables when it comes to customer health… customer happiness, margin, cost to serve, strategic opportunity, competitor threat, market share - using your judgement to manage precedents, prioritise and make calls on the battle’s worth fighting for
- You are astute, can read a room and assess a situation quickly and accurately
- You display a superior ability to effectively negotiate and facilitate complex problem resolution. You effectively assess and make decisions in relation to complex open-ended situations and create and deliver detailed and precise plans to deal with them. This may require specialist knowledge and use of resources
- You are detail oriented, not phased by complexity, and can surface above the detail to prioritise, remain focused on the bigger picture & take a macro perspective
- Superior process rigour, project management skills, strong quantitative analytical power with a reputation for being thorough and strong on follow through
- You can demonstrate and provide examples of a strong instinct for risk, & you proactively work to identify and get in front of risks before they become issues
- You are success & goal oriented, you strive for a balance between speed and ‘right first time’ results & are conscious of the negative impacts of short cutting
- You have a reputation for strong risk management and maintaining control: judgement and experience to anticipate and intervene early on areas of risk
- You are experienced in designing & executing customer engagement & risk management frameworks and have an appreciation for why efforts to prevent the fire lighting in the first place are to be celebrated above efforts to put out a fire that has been allowed to smoulder and ignite. You effectively lead matrixed x-functional teams to positive outcomes, you own escalations and proactively secure support from functional leaders where needed on your accounts
CUSTOMER SUCCESS PARTNER - EXPERIENCE
- Degree qualified, masters or MBA a plus. Recognised PM or CS certification desirable
- Successful background in Customer Success, Program Management, Professional Services and/or Account Management roles in a product/service subscription model business, with responsibility for customer health and renewals
- Min 10 years client facing experience, working with Enterprise level customers in large/complex to navigate organisations - ideally in the CPG sector. Experience operating at senior/C level and presenting, negotiating, managing expectations and communicating at this level with budget holders, sponsors and product owners
- For internal candidates: you have successfully performed a full stack Program Manager, Customer Growth, Senior IM or similar role on complex/enterprise accounts and can demonstrate product expertise and best practice at the activation and delivery level for Digital Shelf and Market Share products
- For external candidates proven deep product knowledge in complex high touch SAAS products (not plug and play or consumption based) & proven capability to ramp up and apply same in this role
- Account planning and forecasting and renewals experience… managing an enterprise book of business within a product/service subscription model with a high renewal success rate
- Leadership experience - not necessarily as a line manager but leading project or account teams to successful outcomes. Using best practice and judgement to provide coaching, direction, leadership by example and direct intervention as required.
- SF.com experience desirable
- CPG, eCommerce domain credibility desirable
CUSTOMER SUCCESS PARTNER - CULTURE & VALUES
- The Ascential values of FOCUS, FACTS, ALL-IN, NO SILOS, CREATIVITY, TRANSPARENCY and EMPATHY will help you be successful in this role
- You’ll be working with talented people in a high standards, supportive team environment and with a leader who will help you succeed
- The dynamic and fast paced nature of the Edge business calls for people who are team players, goal oriented, resilient, tenacious, creative and flexible
- This is a senior level role and offers a high degree of autonomy on the proviso that your customers are stable, without escalations and well reported internally; you are a competent self starter, accountable, dependable and producing positive results with a passion for high performance and personal growth
What We Offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loans
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Cycle to Work; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
We also place great importance on health, lifestyle and wellbeing consistently, in which you will have the options to fuel up on free fruit, attend yoga sessions, join our running club, or perhaps taking up on a lunchtime massages.
At Ascential, our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Ascential people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
If you have any accessibility requirements that would make you more comfortable during the application and interview process, please let us know so that we can support you.
For more information on our culture, visit Ascential.com.
Edge by Ascential™ delivers some of the industry’s most accurate and actionable sales-driving data, insights and advisory solutions for global brands and retailers looking to win in today’s ecommerce-driven world.
Formerly Brand View, Clavis Insight, One Click Retail and PlanetRetail RNG, Edge by Ascential was launched in October of 2018, bringing four brands under one roof. Our market leading products are a product of our people and we are always in the market for top talent.
If you are interested in progressing your career, this position represents a great opportunity to join our team at an exciting stage in its development and expansion. Edge is headquartered in London, with offices in the USA, UK, China, Germany and France. Find out more at www.ascentialedge.com
Want More Info?
Find out more on what our people say:
Ascential YouTube Channel
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us?