Why Bates Wells?
Making a profit is core to all businesses but our goal is to combine this with a real social purpose. Our values are pivotal to us, they shape our decisions and the way we live and work.
We focus on positive social impact as much as we focus on being a successful law firm. Our top tier legal advice is coupled with a real desire to drive change and we were the first UK law firm with B Corp certification, awarded to businesses that balance purpose and profit.
Today, our clients are diverse – from corporate household names, to public bodies, to start ups. We’re also the firm of choice for thousands of charities and social enterprises. We continue to lead the market we helped to shape.
Bates Wells challenges what is possible in legal expertise delivery.
To thrive in this role you will manage the day to day finance transactions activities as well as providing business partner support to our partners and Business Teams.
The key responsibilities are:
- Manage the accounts team with responsibility for:
- Ensuring the day to day finance activities run smoothly
- Finance transactions’ accuracy and timeliness – focusing on the internal control environment and process efficiencies
- Coaching and development of the team
- Dealing with finance related queries – both internal (partner, fee earners etc) and external (suppliers, banks etc)
- Acting as ‘gatekeeper’ for finance data ensuring accuracy through reconciliations and review
- Act as a Business Partner providing data and insight to support our partners and Business Teams, developing strong relationships and providing financial support for decision making
- Prepare the monthly management accounts and related reports/ presentations including variance analysis and commentary, providing analysis e.g. for WIP and debtors
- Prepare external reporting including the bank covenant reporting, VAT return, P11D information and ONS survey information
- Assist with all aspects of partner accounting – capital, drawings and remuneration
- Support the annual budget process and any reforecasts during the year
- Produce accounting papers to support the treatment of ad hoc items
- Manage the day to day aspects of the annual audit
- Undertake monthly review of the payroll together with reconciliation of the payroll control accounts
- Take responsibility for day to day oversight of compliance with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules including monitoring of items such as residual balance and client interest
- New system implementation – provide finance input into the new system implementation ensuring that we maximise process efficiencies and ensure adequate controls are in place
Specific tasks may change over time, so we’ll need you to be adaptable and flexible as we continue to meet our clients’ needs.
- You see the value in Bates Wells as a career choice and view Bates Wells as a high quality employer.
- You share our values and want to make a difference.
- You want to feel that you are a part of the Bates Wells experience and ‘belong’.
- You are not afraid to test assumptions and challenge.
- You want exposure to a variety of challenges that will allow you to innovate.
- You are technically excellent, commercially minded and have great people skills.
- Proven managerial experience within the finance team of a law firm or professional services firm with the ability to engage and motivate individuals and create collective accountability for service delivery.
- Accountancy qualification or equivalent.
- Strong working knowledge of the SRA accounting rules to make decisions and at autonomously.
- Experience with legal accounting systems.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings.
- A one firm approach means working together and improving to achieve common goals and to provide a consistent Bates Wells experience.
- We are driven by our values and the Bates Wells Way.
- We work with exceptional clients to offer the very best work.
- We want to have a positive impact on our people who are our greatest asset so that they can have a positive impact on others. Purpose is baked into our partnership deed.
- Looking for better ways of working is always our priority.
- We promote a strong work/life balance with 25 days holiday with the opportunity to buy more and a ‘Summer in the City’ early-Friday-finish.
- We have an agile working environment – this means you might sit next to a different colleague every day or choose to work from our rooftop garden if you are in the office. We are currently reviewing our policies to enable a hybrid model moving forward.
- Our culture encourages clear and honest dialogue and cross-team support.
- The firm review salaries annually as part of the appraisal process in July of each year. However, we encourage our staff to engage with their supervisors throughout the year on feedback and objective setting.
- We recognise success and contribution at any time of the year through our Recognition Scheme.
- Our benefits and wellbeing package includes firm matching pension contributions, private medical insurance plus a medical benefit cash plan, discretionary bonus arrangements, life assurance, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, firm-wide profit sharing scheme and an on site café.
- Everyone gets a bonus if there is one - a proportion of the LLP profit is distributed to our people when we exceed our financial thresholds.
- We are committed to your wellbeing and offer physical and mental support in the way of subsidised gym membership, private health care and in-office Mental Health Awareness Ambassadors.
- We strongly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to reach their full potential whatever their background and believe a diverse team is integral to our success. We are signatories of the Halo Code Agreement, Race at Work Charter and Race Fairness Commitment.