Where you'll work
The Finance department is responsible for ensuring proper systems are in place for time recording, billing, client accounting, purchase ledger, payroll and cash management together with the necessary reports to support both the department and wider business with accurate and reliable information.
This role has responsibility for the development of financial and management reports using Power BI, Paginated report builder and Excel using data sourced from the 3E Data Insights data warehouse and other firmwide systems such as Cascade, Interaction and Open. Working within the Finance Systems team, the role will take the lead in maintaining common reporting templates and applying these consistently across a range of reporting requirements covering both financial and non-financial data.
What you'll be doing
- Development of financial and management reports to support the management of the business using Power BI, Paginated Report builder, Excel, VBA, and SQL.
- Manage data requirements using the 3E Data Insights console and SQL to source report data from within 3E and other systems to meet reporting requirements.
- Own the Power BI development pipelines that support the online reporting suite of Power BI and Paginated reports.
- Work with users to understand reporting requirements from fee earner and support departments and to lead on the specification, design, development, and delivery of reporting output.
- Maintain a development log to track report requests and developments to help prevent duplication and maintain the focus on priority requirements and best practice.
- Documentation of data sources and report definitions for the purposes of maintaining a finance reporting dictionary.
- Provide documentation and support to users in relation to the understanding and analysis of data contained in reports.
The role will also provide support to the Finance Systems Manager, Finance team and other users in the delivery of ad hoc requests and project work on systems developments, enhancements, and upgrades both within Finance and to support the wider business.
What you'll need
- Advanced experience of report development using Power BI and 3E data structures.
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines.
- Confident working with and analysing data.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Strong team player able to work independently on specific tasks.
- A methodical and logical approach, adjusting priorities to meet changing work demands.
- Ability to understand user reporting requirements and use initiative with a positive and proactive attitude in proposing solutions.
- Professional approach to successfully interact with colleagues and external suppliers.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Drive and enthusiasm.
Experience and skills
The successful candidate must have experience working in a professional services environment using a recognised practice management system and reporting product, preferably with experience of Elite 3E and Power BI.
The candidate must also have experience of
- Report design and development in a financial environment.
- Using SQL to interrogate databases.
- Advanced use of Excel, preferably including VBA skills.
Having knowledge of financial systems and processes in a legal practice would be a distinct advantage.