What does the role involve?
We are looking to welcome an ambitious lawyer to our friendly and busy team where you will work on a range of commercial contracts with an opportunity to help out on some procurement work, if that appeals to you.The team is regularly involved in high value and high profile partnering agreements and commercial projects, often with national importance. You will be acting across a range of sectors for Government departments, contracting authorities and our private sector clients on a variety of complex and high value commercial contracts. You will be given early responsibility to run your own projects and matters. There will also be an opportunity to work on procurement strategies, if that is something that appeals to you. You therefore need to be a confident self-starter and happy to take own initiative.The role will include:- drafting and negotiating high value commercial contracts;- liaising with other specialists in the firm to ensure a seamless service;- undertaking and co-ordinating project management;- the option of working on procurement issues;- actively participating in business development initiatives and marketing events, including preparation of tenders, attending pitches and attending client hospitality events.
What experience is required?
You will be a NQ+
What skills and attributes would I need?
- relevant commercial law experience;- strong drafting skills;- public procurement experience is a plus but not a requirement;- experience working with government departments is also a plus but not a requirement;- the ability to give clear, simple and pragmatic advice;- good academics;- enthusiasm; and- a "can-do" attitude.
Who will I be working with?
You will be working with a number of partners including Andrew Ray, Jens Henniker Heaton and Stuart Thompson. We are flexible on location.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
This will open an external site
As you would expect, the firm offers a generous salary and benefits. Everyone has different priorities and preferences, so at Mills & Reeve you can choose the benefits that appeal to you. From buying holiday and undergoing health screening to leasing a bicycle – the choice is yours.
Our core benefits are:
- Equal all staff bonus based on the firm’s financial performance
- Generous pension including the option to salary sacrifice
- Five weeks' annual leave and the option to buy or sell a week each year
- Extra day of leave for wedding/civil partnership, religious holiday and house moving
- Bonus week leave every 11th year of continuous service
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay
- Income protection after two years’ service
- Life assurance with the choice of covering between two and 10 times annual basic salary
- Confidential employee assistance programme providing guidance on every day issues to more complex matters and both telephone and face to face counselling.
More information can be found here.
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability