What does the role involve?
Would you like to work with the No 1 Professional Indemnity team in the West Midlands according to the directories? We have a fantastic opportunity for two Associates (NQ-3 years PQE) to join the team on a permanent basis. You will work within our Insurance Disputes National Service Line (NSL) based in our Birmingham office.You will ideally have some experience of the insurance market (but not essential) as well as up to date pre-action and litigation procedure knowledge.
Areas of work are:
- About 50% dealing with construction professional indemnity claims, including architects, engineers, design & build contractors and other construction professionals.- Other professional indemnity claims, including solicitors, barristers, accountants and brokers.
- An enviable list of major insurers, MGAs and Lloyds syndicates- Corporates/LLPs
Why should I apply?
Mills & Reeve is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise.We have been listed as one of the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For, for the last 17 years and also names winners of the firm of the year, Roll on Friday for 2019.
What experience is required?
You will be NQ-3 years qualified. You will have a good background in commercial litigation and/or professional indemnity litigation.
What skills and attributes would I need?
- Good academics- Excellent written English and ability to produce clear, logical drafting- Numeracy- Lateral thinking and problem solving skills- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with evidence of leadership experience- Flexibility to work with and supervise team members- Effective time and matter management and a systematic approach to work- Proactive team player- IT literacy- Good research skills- An enthusiasm for marketing with clients and multipliers
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
This will open an external site
As you would expect, the firm offers a generous salary and benefits. Everyone has different priorities and preferences, so at Mills & Reeve you can choose the benefits that appeal to you. From buying holiday and undergoing health screening to leasing a bicycle – the choice is yours.
Our core benefits are:
- Equal all staff bonus based on the firm’s financial performance
- Generous pension including the option to salary sacrifice
- Five weeks' annual leave and the option to buy or sell a week each year
- Extra day of leave for wedding/civil partnership, religious holiday and house moving
- Bonus week leave every 11th year of continuous service
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay
- Income protection after two years’ service
- Life assurance with the choice of covering between two and 10 times annual basic salary
- Confidential employee assistance programme providing guidance on every day issues to more complex matters and both telephone and face to face counselling.
More information can be found here.
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click the link below to find further information regarding diversity and inclusion at Mills & Reeve.