What does the role involve?
We are looking for an experienced Senior Solicitor familiar with construction related contracts and disputes. You will work within our Insurance Disputes National Service Line (NSL) based in our Birmingham office. You will provide a wide range of general and specialist insurance coverage and claims defence advice requiring excellent knowledge of insurance policy wordings, and some general knowledge of the London insurance market and, Lloyds regulatory issues. The work involves advising on scope of policy on cover so, policy interpretation experience is essential as is up to date knowledge of court and dispute resolution process and strategy.The work frequently involves building contracts so familiarity with construction appointment documents, collateral warranties and JCT and other standard contract documentation is required. You will have excellent team working skills and a leadership mind set, taking responsibility for a caseload of complex work advising both insurers and their insureds.
Areas of work are:
- Construction professional indemnity including, architects, engineers, design & build contractors and other construction professionals.- Professional indemnity, including solicitors, barristers, accountants and brokers.- Coverage on primary and excess layers
- An enviable list of major insurers, MGAs and Lloyds syndicates- Insureds
What experience is required?
You will be 5+ years qualified with experience gained in a City firm or large regional firm. You will have a good background in commercial litigation and/or professional indemnity litigation, and insurance coverage disputes.
What skills and attributes would I need?
Essential- Good academics - Excellent written English and ability to produce clear, logical drafting- Numeracy- Negotiating skills- Lateral thinking and problem solving skills- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with evidence of leadership experience- Flexibility to work with and supervise team members- Effective time and matter management and a systematic approach to work- Proactive team player- IT literacy- Good research skills- An enthusiasm for marketing with clients and multipliers
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
This will open an external site
As you would expect, the firm offers a generous salary and benefits. Everyone has different priorities and preferences, so at Mills & Reeve you can choose the benefits that appeal to you. From buying holiday and undergoing health screening to leasing a bicycle – the choice is yours.
Our core benefits are:
- Equal all staff bonus based on the firm’s financial performance
- Generous pension including the option to salary sacrifice
- Five weeks' annual leave and the option to buy or sell a week each year
- Extra day of leave for wedding/civil partnership, religious holiday and house moving
- Bonus week leave every 11th year of continuous service
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay
- Income protection after two years’ service
- Life assurance with the choice of covering between two and 10 times annual basic salary
- Confidential employee assistance programme providing guidance on every day issues to more complex matters and both telephone and face to face counselling.
More information can be found here.
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click the link below to find further information regarding diversity and inclusion at Mills & Reeve.