Owen Reed are recruiting for a Paralegal/Legal PA to join a top law firm in London. The Paralegal/Legal PA will work within the Patent's team.
The Paralegal/Legal PA will provide full support service to qualified and trainee Patent and/or Trade Mark Attorneys. Work as part of an overall team to ensure a high level of support is delivered across the London office and the Firm as a whole. You will support 2 Senior Associates, 1 Associate and their Technical Assistants.
• Maintaining records for fee earner cases in respect of various formalities eg maintaining US IDS records for a patent family.
• Assisting fee earners in obtaining information from EPO, UKIPO, EUIPO, WIPO and other IP related websites and databases
• Preparing reports to clients in respect of UKIPO and EUIPO surveillance notifications, and EUIPO Search Reports
• Reporting grants of protection of designations of International Registrations
• Assistance with assignments, changes of name/address and other recordals, including obtaining/collating information on requirements/costs, preparing documents (eg Powers of Attorney) for execution by clients, preparing forms/instructions to overseas associates, monitoring progress of recordals and reporting to client
• Preparing basic correspondence/emails to clients, IP offices and overseas agents
• Preparing standard reporting letters to clients
• Preparation of documentation relevant to patents, designs and/or trademarks as appropriate and monitoring various formalities processes relevant to the filing of UK, European, International and Patent Co-operation Treaty (PCT) applications. Including:
- Typing and amending Word documents with technical content
- Preparing forms and letters from templates with case-specific information
• Preparation of various documentation and presentations relevant to fee earner involvement in committees and other professional activities.
• Transcribing dictation (Big Hand) is not a requirement of this role, but may be useful in assisting colleagues.
• Dealing with incoming and outgoing communications.
• Preparation and handling of all ancillary documentation as necessary (eg file management, photocopying, scanning etc).
• Instructing overseas agents to attend to filing of new patent, design and trade mark applications (including national phase of PCT applications), to include attending to all filing formalities
• Preparing and/or sending emails on behalf of fee earners.
• Monitoring fee earner deadlines/workloads, liaising with central Records Department and taking necessary action in respect of deadlines wherever appropriate.
• Maintaining fee earner diary.
• Preparation of cost estimates for clients.
• Running status reports and portfolio schedules as and when required by clients.
• Adding official fees and firm service charges to our billing system.
• Preparation of invoices.
• Monitoring of fee earner Work In Progress (WIP) eg unbilled time or service charges wherever appropriate.
• Checking new client details on Inprotech database and updating various other records.
• Maintaining client files with relevant client specific information, eg standard procedures re billing, correspondence etc.
• Arranging fee earner travel as required. Preparation of Travel Itineraries and dealing with expense claims on behalf of fee earner, if required.
• Acting as point of contact for client enquiries on behalf of fee earner. Making and receiving telephone calls and dealing with general enquiries.
• Point of contact when arranging internal and external meetings, booking of rooms, venues and refreshments.
• As required, assisting with ad hoc responsibilities and administrative tasks to support fee earners.
• 2:1 Graduate, preferably in law. Motivated and has the aptitude to successfully train up into the role.
• High Performing Legal PA/EA with strong transferable skills.
• High Performing Patent Paralegal/Administrator.
• Has evolved to meet the requirements of today’s role.